1/10/2013

i love/hate you



A few years ago I would describe her as an icon, it-girl, role-model. I would sigh at her outfits with no relief, fantasizing about somehow robbing her wardrobe.  Then I may open my drawers and do the tidying-up procedure so as to tell my mum I have nothing to wear as I have changed my style. My style would be a copy of Alexa Chung’s.

I really used to look up to her in terms of fashion. I still do sometimes. She has this edgy, tomboyish look. Timid outside, bitchy inside. This is a motto she probably and I’d love it to be my creed. Not because I am her fan, not anymore. But because I can identify with it.

Why I started to dislike Alexa Chung? Well, maybe it is too strong to say ‘dislike’, but at least lost interest in her person. It was when I was caught up with her career. She is pretty, thin and has cool clothes. She did as a TV presenter. Then, it seems, in a second, out of the blue, became an it-girl with a bag named after her and Alex Turner holding her hand. I got preoccupied when I’ve noticed there was no vision behind it. No particular struggle to promote her one-off  fashion idea or design. She just came mixing up Topshop with Chanel  and that’s it.

Maybe there is envy somewhere deep inside me, but I hope there’s not. It is just that I always imagined every time new fashion celebrity is born it is due to something. They are designers, editors, stylists, artists. Alexa got it without any special talent really. Not I am not jealous. It’s some sort of disappointment. Anyway, she’s coolly dressed and has lives cool lifestyle with cool friends. Fair or not, fashion remains open for people with unique ideas. Let’s hope there is space for lots of them.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz